Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Work

This last month or so of work has been crazy. It has been really busy. There have been some issues with some of the kids that I have had to work through. It's made my job tough. It took me some time to figure out how to handle it. 
  It started with a kid who thought not living was the only choice. That student ended up getting a lot of help. I didn't know how to handle that situation once the student was back. I got a lot of help from my friends. Just being able to talk to them about it made it easier for me to handle that situation. Since I have never been in that kind of situation it was very tough for me.
  Later in the month another student lost their dad to an unexpected death. It was very tough on this student. I was able to talk to them about it and just let them know I was there for them. It just added to a tough few weeks. 
  Most recently one of the students lost their mom to jail. The mom has been in hail for a while but was sentenced recently. Finding this out has been a good and bad thing. It has been tough on the student and me because they have been acting out. The good part is knowing what is causing this and how to help this student. 
  These things have been really stretching me. It has been a lesson learning point in my year and my life. I have had the chance to learn a lot about the kids and what they deal with on a daily basis. It has also taught me a lot about myself. It has taught me that I need to have people that I can talk to about certain things, that sometimes I don't need to say anything but just be there and listen, and that I might not have gone through those things but I can be someone that can grow and help people grow through situations like that.
  Overall it's been a great year. It's had it's ups and downs. I have learned a lot and can't wait to see what else I will learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment