Thursday, January 16, 2014

Working at Build Chicago

I am doing a volunteer year through a program called YAV( Young Adult Volunteers). I was placed with an organization named Build Chicago. I am interning there through my volunteer year.  This organization works with kids doing gang intervention and prevention. So far it has been great.
  I am working at an elementry school doing gang prevention. The name of the school is Leif Ericson. It is a K-8 school. When I'm at the school I work with the kids in a classroom setting as well as helping with recess. In the classrooms I help the kids with their work along with helping the teacher with anything they need. It has been great to get to know the kids and see them progress in school.
 I also work with an after school program through Build. We have about 60 kids that are in the program every afternoon. I help them with their homework, mentor them, help teach them social skills and life skills, and play games with them and have a good time. It's a great place for these kids to come and hang out, get the help they need with their homework, and a place for them to learn things they would not on the street.
 Their have been some things that have happened with a few of the kids that have been really rough and stretched me in ways I never thought possible. I have had kids lose parents gun violence, kids who have tried to give up in life, and kids who have really excelled in areas that I didn't know you could excel in at that age. 
 I have taken these kids under my wing. I am trying to help them the best I can and teach them that there are people out there who care for them and want to see them succeed. I really see these kids doing a lot in their life. These kids are very smart and very perceptive. They have a lot going for them.
 This year has been great so far. I have learned a lot. I can't wait to see what the rest of the year has in store. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment