Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My first couple of months

My first couple of months in Chicago have been amazing! I have been a lot of places I have never been, learned a lot about the city, and met a lot of really cool people.  I got here at the end of August. 

Just to give you an idea of where we live. I am in East Garfield Park on the west side of Chicago. This is considered to be a very rough part of town. I live in a three bedroom flat with two roommates.

The first week Here we had orientation. The first couple days were all about exploring the city. The rest of the week was meeting new people and learning about what we would be doing. We had a blast doing all the different things throughout the week. We went to different parts of the city, saw the presidents house, went to the Mexican Art Muesam, went to Jazz Fest at Melenium Park, and hungout at the house and really got to know each other.

(Photos from Jazz Fest)


(Me on the the train)

After a week of having fun it was time to start at my placement. My placement is at Build Chicago. I am working in a school and doing an after school program for third through eighth graders. The school I work at is called Leif Ericson which is right across the street from where I live. I am really enjoying it. 

(Me and my roommates at Ericson)

So far my time time in Chicago has been great! 


(I will post about some of the different things I have done throughout the rest of the week)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it's going well. I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you've been up to. Keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete